I have had the opportunity to review one of the The Curiosity Files E-Books from The Old Schoolhouse. It is called Blue Diamond and teaches your kids (and you) all about the blue diamond.
Here is a list from The Old Schoolhouse website that shows what is included in the E-Book:
- Bible study and memory verses
- Math, history, and geography investigations
- Literature and suggested book list
- Writing, spelling, and vocabulary activities
- Beautiful copywork pages (manuscript and cursive)
- Science observations, projects, & experiments
- Discussion questions
- Art, crafts, drawing, and coloring pages
- Lapbook/notebook pages and helpful lapbooking links
- Special needs, hands-on discoveries
- Internet resource and video links
- Complete answer key
These books are perfect for ages 8-13. As some of you know, my oldest are 7 and 9, so we are right at the lower level of ages for these books. With that in mind, some of the material had vocabulary in it that was a little more than my kids could understand. I didn’t mind that though, because it just gave me an opportunity to teach them some new words! I went through the book with them, so anytime a word came along that was a little older than they are used to, I would just reword it so they could understand. I really worked out perfectly!
I love the way the information is organized in the book. It starts off just telling you “Everything you never wanted to know about the Blue Diamond”, as the book puts it! It also tells stories about the history (including Biblical history) of the blue diamond and what it has been famous for and, of course, what makes it blue. There are a few ‘in the lab’ activities you can do to further teach. We chose the one called ‘The rock cycle in action’. It was a big hit. There were also a bunch of fun crafts to choose from to help teach your children more (or to just have fun).
|The Rock Cycle in Action Lab|
This is the book that keeps on giving. Just when you think you are nearing the end, you find more cool things! What else, you ask? Well… it lists other books you can check out to learn more and also a list of websites to check out too. There are also all kinds of workbook type pages that involve, geography, math, spelling, vocabulary and history. There is even a song about blue diamonds set to the tune of “All around the Mulberry Bush”. It is really cute! It really is a complete lesson, not only about the blue diamond, but about everything involved in how a rock or gem is formed.
|I know I said this E-Book is for ages 8-13, but the younger ones can definitely get in on the labs and crafts!|
I would definitely recommend this book to my friends (and that’s you!). My kids were a little slow to get interested in it. I’m not sure why… maybe it was just a change from our normal subject matter; but once we got started they really enjoyed it. Especially my oldest. My son, is a little too young for the book, but he still learned some things and seemed to enjoy himself… particularly during the lab!
I know this was meant for my kids to learn about the blue diamond, but I definitely learned a lot too! And, at $6.95, the price is definitely right! And, there is a 7 day, money back guarantee.
Here is a recap of all the information about The Curiosity File Blue Diamond E-book:
- What: The Curiosity Files – Blue Diamond E-Book
- Who: For ages 8-13
- Cost: $6.95, with a 7 day, money back gaurantee
- Where to buy: The Old Schoolhouse Store
- What you will learn: All about the blue diamond, plus much, much more. I was impressed with all the detail involved in the information and how the E-book incorporated science, geography, math, spelling, vocabulary and history into a book about blue diamonds.
- Size: 89 pages and can be done in one week, or one day per week for a month… or whatever schedule works best for your family!
- Why?: Because
youI would never think to do a unit study on the blue diamond and it is actually more interesting than you may think!
If you would like to know more about the product or my thoughts on it, feel free to leave a comment below or go to The Old Schoolhouse and check it out. And, don’t forget to look at the other Curiosity Files E-Books while you are there!