I’m joining Mama Chocolate again with Fun with Food Friday!
This recipe was sent in by Sharon C. Thanks Sharon!
This white chili recipe is originally a crock pot recipe, but it can be adapted to stovetop. If you make it on the stove with canned beans, you might want to reduce the amount of liquid because the beans are already cooked. They won’t soak up as much and the chili will turn out more like a soup. However, this is a good thing if you are going to put muffins in the bowl, because they will soak up all that extra broth.
Gourmet White Chili
- 1 lb. dried great northern white beans (or 3-4 cans of beans, drained. Depends on how beany you want it)
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 8-oz. can chopped green chilies
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless uncooked chicken breasts, cubed
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups grated cheese (our favorite is pepper jack!) (1 C. will be used for garnish)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- (And Sharon’s secret ingredient, a couple sprinkles of ground cinnamon)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup salsa (never tried this)
- 1/2 cup cilantro
1) Cover dried beans with water and soak overnight. Drain, discarding soaking water.
2) Sauté onions in butter until clear. Add garlic, green chilies, cumin, oregano, cloves and cayenne. Sauté for 2 more minutes. This step may be skipped if you are pressed for time. (I totally skipped this step… I just threw everything in the crock pot.)
3) Place all ingredients in slow cooker except cheese and garnishes.
4) Cover. Cook on low 8-10 hours or on high 4-6 hours.
5) Add 1 cup of cheese. Stir until melted.
6) Serve in bowls topped with garnishes and remaining cheese.
Yum! Top left picture is with all the garnishes, top right is without and bottom right has the garnishes all mixed in.
I really liked this chili a lot. Hubby and kids would not mind if I never made it again. It is a great meal for if you are going to be gone all day and want dinner ready when you get home.
I will probably make it again even though it wasn’t a great hit. It’s super easy, and *I* liked it!!! :)
The point of Fun with Food Friday is to try new recipes, so hop on over to Mama Chocolate and see what she cooked up!