Not that this is solely a homeschool program, but if you do homeschool, you have likely at least heard of Reading Eggs. Maybe you’ve even used it. If you haven’t used it yet and you want to try it out, Reading Eggs is offering my readers FREE 4-week trial. (This offer expires Nov. 30, 2017.) If you’re not sure yet, then keep reading. :)
Reading Eggs Levels
The first thing your child should do (in my opinion) when starting with Reading Eggs is take the placement test. If your child is brand new to reading, you could skip that part and just start him/her at the beginning.
My daughter has been reading so I had her take the placement test so we would know where she should begin. The program also tells you your child’s reading age.
There are 3 levels the program may place your child based on the placement test:
- Reading Eggs Junior – for ages 2-4. There are read-aloud books, alphabet games and more to help your child to begin focusing on letters and the sounds they make.
- Reading Eggs – for ages 3-7, is a self-paced program. It is designed to get your children excited about reading using games and books. As they progress through the program, they earn golden eggs and “critters” as a reward.
(a critter she earned)
- Reading Eggspress – for ages 7 to 13, helps your younger readers to practice their reading comprehension and spelling skills. The program is full of games, activities, online books and more that help your child learn to love reading.
In addition to those three reading programs, Reading Eggs also has branched out into math as well. They have a program called MathSeeds. It is a program for ages 3-9 to practice and perfect math skills. There is a placement test for MathSeeds as well so that your child is able to start at the right level.
Homeschool Program Guides
Reading Eggs has just released new program guides specifically for the homeschool families using their site. When you are logged in, they will be listed under the “Bonus Materials”.
I checked out the grade 2 program guide. It is essentially a lesson plan that would come with any curriculum you would buy. I love this, because anything that can make the homeschool mom’s life a little easier, I am all for!
Each printable homeschool guide provides a 36-week teaching and learning sequence for Language Arts, Mathematics, Science and Social Studies. It maps online lessons, books, quizzes, and assessments to help you plan your child’s learning every step of the way. The guides also list reference books in the Reading Eggspress library to complement online learning and help you expand new ideas and concepts.
The program guide is definitely not needed in order to use Reading Eggs, but if you want to follow it, they have a plan laid out for you.
- There are 120 self-paced reading lessons in Reading Eggs.
- The placement test tells you the perfect place for your child to begin.
- There are over 170 activities and books.
- Listen to fun music and complete puzzles!
- In the Reading Eggspress Library, there are over 2500 children’s books.
- The program is mobile device friendly (my daughter used it on my mom’s iPad quite easily).
- Don’t want everything done online? There are tons of printables too!
- Detailed reports on your child’s progress (plus emails letting you know where they are in the program).
- There is a place where your child can write their own books!!
Reading Eggs in our House
My daughter is enjoying this program. She took the placement test and at first, she thought the program was boring and too easy. As it progressed though, I think she realized she was at the right place in the program and she is having fun with it.
When she first started it, she was out of town with my parents, so I’m not sure exactly why she thought it was too easy and boring. If I had to guess, I think she was not doing an entire lesson in one sitting. So, she would do part of a lesson… maybe the part that was easy for her. :) Once she got home and I was able to sit down with her, she realized that parts of the lesson were more difficult than other parts. And she realized she couldn’t easily read every word on the page.
This program has really helped build her reading skills and reading confidence!! I look forward to continuing on with the program. We are really enjoying the MathSeeds program as well!